Monday, August 18, 2014

Orebic - Trpanj: Going For An Ice Cream And A Horror Ride

A bunch of local tourist guides I have befriended during my stay invited me for a quick trip on the other side of the Peljesac ridge, the shore town of Trpanj. "Let's just go for an ice cream!"

Trpanj Peljesac Croatia (c) Ladislav Skacal - adriadatabanka.com


Sure I agreed and we got into what turned up to be a beat up old VW bus. So far so good. The day was coming to an evening and the trip sounded inviting. Never been to Trpanj before and getting out of town is always a good idea.

But I didn't know I was in for a scary horror ride as well. The ridges of Peljesac peninsula are steep and the roads are narrow, and winding. If you are coming from Germany, you will find nothing like an Autobahn here. You'll feel lucky if the road has not been eroded on the edges, inviting the fast and deadly way down the hill.

There are two parts of the trip. The first one takes you up the winding road of the south side of Peljesac up to the village of Donja Banda. That part was scary in itself but at least it wasn't so dark yet. But the second part of the trip was across the north side of the ridge. It was just as steep, the road was just as windy and the car was still an old beaten VW bus. But now, it was getting really dark. I could only hope the driver knew what he was doing.

Arriving at Trpanj, the city gave an impression of a denser, more city-like environment, probably because it was so squished between the sea and the steep hill in the back. There was a of dalmatian style ice cream shop!

Best Of Croatian Ice Cream by ms-skinnyfat.com


Ice cream tasted real good after the ride.

I made it back in one piece as well. I live to tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment